HOME FIX UP: SAVE $$ WITH HOME EFFICIENCIESNovember 20, 2013
HOLIDAY TIPS FOR YOUR HOMEDecember 21, 2013
The holidays are a wonderful time with family and friends, and the kids especially enjoy the fun of the holidays. But with all that is going on during this joyful time, it’s very easy to get all caught up in the festivities and forget about some simple safety steps you can take to avoid injury and danger. Often, we don’t even think about the fact that we are doing things we don’t normally do – scaling rooftops and ladders to hang festive decorations, and hosting, cooking and baking for very large groups of family, friends and neighbors. And there’s egg nog…don’t forget the egg nog.
Did You Know?
- In the month of December, 25% of home fires are caused by holiday decorations.
- During the holidays, kitchen fires are more frequent.
- Falling off ladders and furniture is the third most frequent occurrence during the holiday season.
Simple ways to stay safe
- Use a strong, sturdy ladder – when hanging holiday decorations. Avoid standing on chairs to complete this task. Chances are you will have to reach beyond the chair’s range.
- Be aware of the potential of electric shock – This is the one time of year where you have extra electrical items plugged in. Be careful of frayed wires and overloaded power outlets. Keep all power wires free and clear of rugs and fabric.
- Keep clear paths and open areas for your guests – Your home will be more crowded than usual, with family and friends bringing gifts, food or dessert. There are lots of coats, gloves and scarfs that need a place to be stored. There are decorations that will take up space that is normally unoccupied. Be sure people cannot trip over these items.
From our family to yours – Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! We hope you are able to spend it with your loved ones and best of friends.