What you need to know about smart thermostats
You know the thermostat. It’s that knob on the wall that you don’t want the kids to touch in case they make your electric bill soar. You begrudgingly turn it up when it’s too cold out, or you turn on the AC in the summer. Did you know that in recent years the industry’s advanced profoundly? HVAC contractors in Phoenix have started installing newer smart thermostats and heating and cooling systems make it easier for you to stay comfortable while also managing your utility bill. Keep reading to learn what you need to know in order to make the right choice for your home.
What is a smart thermostat anyway?
A traditional thermostat is little more than a thermometer and a control unit that heats up a room until it reaches the selected temperature. You twist the knob to whatever you like and then have to turn it off again when you’re not going to use the heater anymore. Electronic thermostats came out several years ago. With these you could set a time for when to turn the heat or air conditioner on and off. There were options for setting different times at each day of the week. These systems save you electricity because if you set them up on a recurring basis you never waste money keeping the house warm when you’re at work or at other times when you don’t need the heater running.
The advantage of smart thermostats
Smart thermostats take the functionality of electric thermostats to the next level. They have more advanced computers and they also use Bluetooth wireless technology to connect to other devices. They’re dependable and offer electronically calibrated measurements to ensure that the temperature stays at the right level. This gives them several advantages:
- Home Assistants: You can connect most new models to home assistants, such as Amazon’s Alexa, Apple’s Homekit, Google Assistant and others. Instead of getting up whenever you want to change the thermostat, you only need to tell your home assistant to do it for you.
- Smartphones: Bluetooth also allows you to connect to a smartphone. Most of these models are compatible with apps that you can get from the Apple Store or Google Play. This allows you to control the thermostat from any room of your home. If you connect the smart unit to your Wi-Fi router you can then set the thermostat from anywhere in the world where you have a cellular signal. There’s no more panicking when you forget to turn the heat off while you’re on vacation; just call up the app and turn it off.
- Energy Efficiency: Continually monitoring the temperature allows a smart thermostat to make minute adjustments to the power use. This keeps the heater or AC from sucking up excess energy and maintains a more manageable energy bill.
- Positional Sensors: Sensing where in the house you are, the thermostat can turn off the HVAC in the rooms that are unoccupied, further reducing your energy bill.
- Humidity Monitors: Keeping tabs on the humidity level helps to prevent mold from growing.
Smart thermostats for Phoenix
You know the weather here. We have warm winters and scorching summers. Of course, warm is a relative term. If you’re used to a hotter climate even temperatures in the high 50s can be uncomfortable. Smart thermostats are the answer for getting by in Arizona, no matter the season.
Imagine getting off work, anticipating any stops that you might have on the way, and then telling your house to turn on the air conditioning just in time to cool the house off for you. Or say you have visitors from a different part of the country who are used to less extreme temperatures. If you’re set up right you can let them enjoy a different condition in their rooms.
Custom setups for HVAC
Smart thermostats work with different types of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems. Whether you’ve got a baseboard system that runs throughout the house or individual units set up outside each room, there’s something available for you. Home automation is both cost-effective and exceptionally convenient.
Get the pros on the job
Are you a DIY master? It’s always a good idea to take an interest in doing your own home maintenance. When it comes time to install a smart thermostat, it might be the wisest course to have a professional do it for you. Professional installation gives you more of a guarantee that everything is hooked up correctly.
If you’re also upgrading your HVAC system, you can have a contractor install the thermostat at the same time as your upgrade. Heating and cooling technicians are experts at using smart thermostats and can help you to program the system to suit your needs. They also show you how to connect your phone or a home assistant.
Sunrise Mechanical is your best bet
If you’ve got a heating and cooling project, Sunrise Mechanical is the best HVAC contractor in Phoenix. We’ve been in the community for years and know the needs of homeowners in the area. Our team is full of trained professionals who have the knowledge to fix and install all major systems. These workers are punctual and respectful. We show up on time for our appointments and leave your home looking as nice as it was when we came over.
You can trust us for jobs that range from simple thermostat installation to a complete HVAC overhaul. Ours is a no-risk service. Call us or use the contact form on this page to set up a free consultation. We give you accurate estimates and can work within a range of different budget levels. The materials we use are all of the highest quality, and are backed by competitive warranties.
Do you really want to face another Phoenix summer without a smart thermostat to keep you cool? There’s no need to bake in the summer or shiver through the winter. Get Sunrise Mechanical on the job right now, get comfortable and save on your utility bill.